Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Climb

A little bloggy honesty: last week wasn't very good. Woke up feeling like a pickled arse most mornings. No matter how much you love what you're doing, there are always some days/weeks when things just don't seem to flow

And sometimes you just get tired of the view.








By the end of the week, if you had looked into my brain, this is precisely what you would have seen:





Tangent: I read Dune the other day. Apart from being an unexpectedly readable and enjoyable story (what? I was expecting pages of scientific ramblings and no female characters), it was full of philosophical insight and quotable quotes. My favourites:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere. Climb the mountain just a little to test that it's a mountain. From the top of the mountain, you cannot see the mountain."

I, and a lot of people I know, can see the mountain. Looking forward to a fresh view from the top.

5 comments:

  1. I can totally relate!

    Did you perhaps(inadvertently)reference Miley Cyrus and my favorite quote from Dune in the same post?! Amazing! Here's the song, which would actually be quite beautiful if, you know, anyone else was singing it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2zyeVRcbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sweet Miley. Great lyrics, shame about the cheese factor! I predict a 'Can't Be Tamed' post next week when I regain my scholarly confidence ;)

    Dune was so great. Better than Lord of the Rings IMHO - too much singing in that book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickled arse mornings: bad. Dune: good. (Five more proper Dune books: best.)

    (Oh, but various prequels and sequels written by Frank Herbert's son trying to cash in: not even for procrastinations sake!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbert Jr sounds like a real entrepreneur!

    I have been eyeballing the sequels, although I've heard (from my brother) that Paul goes on to "kill billions of people." Oh well, nobody's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Pickled arse mornings"! Never before did I know those three words could go so meaningfully together.

    ReplyDelete